All Who Wander Are Not Lost -JRR Tolkien

My photo
Sometimes it feels like we are wandering through a land of shadows alone but we don't wander about thus. It is in knowing that we don't wander alone on this journey but rather we journey with Christ- for Christ- through Christ; trying to sort out life. That is our reassurance. We are fellow travelers with their varied stories to share and many songs to sing. We are journeying along through these shadows together. For me I am journeying away from an evangelical ,conservative religion to ( hopefully) becoming a true Christ follower. I invite you to journey along with me. That if you are so inclined; then by all means feel free to wander and ponder.

Monday, February 22, 2010

I can't help but wonder

As I have been wandering ( and wondering as I go) along I have been noticing a certain shrillness that has developed among certain evangelical conservative Christians that really fail to resonate with my understanding of Christ's words.I am not sure if that shrillness has always been there and I have just not noticed it or that I have moved far away enough from it that it has become ear piercing and irksome to me. I mean the whole tome of conservative evangelical Christianity seems to totally miss out out on what Christ was trying to say.I am uncertain if there is any point in blaming evangelicals, conservatives , or Christians ( as a religious group. Then again we can throw Religion in the blame mix). All I do know is that the voice of evangelical conservative Christianity is no longer my voice, as it was not to far back in my past. Not if those who speak it know want to take pride in being anti-intellectual or race baiting. If  the cause of Christ is somehow being served by evangelical conservative Christians.Sadly I fail to see it Then again I hope that I have not become so myopic that I am become as inflexible as those whose inflexibility I tend to rail at.Back to my original thought; the shrill voice of evangelical Christianity doesn't convey the message of Christ. Not if it lacking compassion. This was something Christ made a point of pointing out to the Pharisees. The Pharisees of Christ's day were the equivelent of today's evangelical conservatives. Christ was bothered enough by their shrill voice of condemnstion that he qouted to them Hosea 6:6 which basically says- ' I would rather have your compassionthan your burnt offerings" Hosea was relaying a message from the Almighty to his people that He would rather we nbe kind and understanding towards the plight of each other rather than us bringing him something that we may think may please Him. For me personally I am baffled by those Christians who seem to think the conservative cause is the cause of Christ especially if it is not one of compassion. I have been on the recieving end of that incompassionate kind of Christianity. BTW one final thought- what ever happened to the so called  compassionate conservative of the Regan/Bush era? Was he/she a miscarriage or was he/she aborted?

No comments: