All Who Wander Are Not Lost -JRR Tolkien

My photo
Sometimes it feels like we are wandering through a land of shadows alone but we don't wander about thus. It is in knowing that we don't wander alone on this journey but rather we journey with Christ- for Christ- through Christ; trying to sort out life. That is our reassurance. We are fellow travelers with their varied stories to share and many songs to sing. We are journeying along through these shadows together. For me I am journeying away from an evangelical ,conservative religion to ( hopefully) becoming a true Christ follower. I invite you to journey along with me. That if you are so inclined; then by all means feel free to wander and ponder.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Celebration is a participation sport

  Happy Mother's Day! This is one of those holidays tat the cynical side of me wants to say is a manufactured hoilday. Created by the card companies to increase their revenue stream. But Mother's Day as Holiday has merit because our Mothers are worth celebrating. Something I wonder at times, although I have to confess not very often, is about the maternal side of God. I mean God is God and we cannot really get a full grasp on that but I think that one of his ( Interesting how we almost automatically assign a masculine pronoun to God). And it seems odd to me that we don't often discuss the maternal side of God. After all them maternal had to come from somewhere didn't it? It didn't just appear out of thin are.  mean,if we believe that we a created being then the instincts that we were created with have had to come form the Creator themselves-right? So then using that logic then we have to assume that God the Creator has a maternal side. But I wonder if it we should call it    " a isde' because that sounds like to me that it is a lesser part of God. A not as important p[art of them as the Creator. To my way of thinking as it has been changing as I pedal the trike along But then I think that if God is God then all parts of God are as equally as important. Our wanting to rate God in parts in somewhat silly and  show a measure of disrespect. especially when it comes to the maternal instincts of God ,which I believe God has. I mean I can remember hearing a theological discussion on the Holy Spirit as being the Feminine side of God. And for a long time I bought in to that thought.I am not saying it is wrong. Just wondering if it is not entirely accurate. Then again I happen to think nowadays one of the traps we fall into is the idea that somehow we can accurately define a God who is something wholly other and beyond what we can describe or define.As to the maternal nature of God I suspect that it is there and that it is important.  So if that is the case then I have to think, at the risk of being blasphemous or disrespectful, that God is owed a lot of Mother's day cards.

No comments: